- This week, at Nothing in Biology Makes Sense! Should women have to give up family life to build a career in science?
- And, at The Molecular Ecologist: Pleuni Pennings talks about her path to scientific research.
- Pettiness personified. Some inconsequential editor outs Dr. Isis, gets roundly roundly rebuffed.
- No, really, don't. If you absolutely must kill an arthropod, you can probably do it more safely than by blowing up your house.
- Shiny! Tagging X chromosomes with different fluorescent markers reveals mosaics of parental influence.
- Wow. Many cow. So not Trivers-Willard. Records from almost 1.5 million animals demonstrate that, on average, cows make more milk for daughters.
- Hmm. Application of fungicide and insecticide to swaths of rainforest suggest that pathogenic fungi, but not insect herbivores drive total plant community diversity.
- CSI: Cretaceous. Piecing together how dinosaurs fought.
And, because I've just wrapped up another round of Citizen Science (well, except for the grading), a little advice for some of my "undeclared" students, via io9: