Nasty stuff, regardless of where you drink it. Photo by Darby Rose.
- Which is why I stick with gin and tonic. "Four Loko" might not be extra-intoxicating because it combines caffeine and alcohol, but because it doesn't taste alcoholic.
- Go easy on the pawpaw, too. Too many carrots can, in fact, turn you orange.
- When he helps with the cover-up, I think probably yes. When a graduate student falsifies results, is his or her advisor responsible?
- Forty. Percent. Profits. The case against for-profit academic publishing. (But see also.)
- Good digestion goes a long way. Mice fed "probiotic" bacteria seem to be less stressed out.
- I'm sure we're all glad to know that the tick phylogeny is now much clearer. A rare and unique species of tick has been rediscovered in South Africa almost thirty years after it was last seen.
- "We had Kate Winslet learning how to pipet." The new film Contagion aims to accurately portray an emerging epidemic.
- Especially great if you're shopping for a graduate advisor. If you haven't already, go check out Sarcozona's ongoing series of interviews from the ESA meetings.
- Yes, it's a link to another linkfest. Ed Yong picks his favorite online science writing of August 2011.