Photo by ehpien.
- NeuroDojo: Chickadees grow new brain cells while caching food -- but they grow more in the wild than they do in captivity.
- Dechronization: Mitochondrial DNA is not as good for evolutionary and ecological genetics as was once thought. It doesn't even evolve in a nice, clocklike fashion!
- The EEB & flow: Plant communities have a lot going on underground.
- Conservation Maven: Exotic giant tortoises seem to make pretty good replacements for extinct native giant tortoises. (Of course, it's hard to imagine introduced giant tortoises ever running amok in a new habitat.)
- EcoTone: Loss of top predatory fish can spur algae blooms.